I am pleased to announce the official launch of the BuildingBoys Virtual Book Club!
We had a number of readers express interest, so let’s go going. Here are the details:
Our first book will be Raising Boys By Design: What the Bible and Brain Science Reveal About What Your Son Needs to Thrive, by Michael Gurian and Gregory L. Jantz. That’s right: it’s the book we recently gave away. I’m hoping our winners will join us and add our voices to the conversation. The book is also available at amazon.com, local libraries and independent bookstores.
I picked this book as our first one for a couple of reasons:
- It’s new. A lot of people will be talking about this book, and I want us to be part of the conversation.
- It applies to boys of all ages. Unlike some books, this book isn’t aimed at parents of teens or parents of toddlers. This book includes insights and ideas that will help anyone — parent, educator, community member — who works with boys of any age.
- It has insights from two worlds. In 16 years of parenting, I’ve learned that there are a lot of divisions within the parenting community. There are secular parents and super religious parents. There are co-sleepers and crib sleepers, cry-it-out advocates and attachment parents. But we all have one thing in common: we want the best for our kids. This book claims to blend Biblical principles with brain-based concepts. Personally, I don’t think there’s any one “right way” to raise or educate kids. I’m intrigued by the inclusiveness of this book, and look forward to discussing it with others of all different viewpoints.
- It includes opportunities for feedback and discussion. Each chapter ends with a “Next Steps” section and some prompts which will encourage you to reflect on the content you’ve just read. Page 16, for instance, asks you, “What biases am I seeing in my son’s school?” “Do I (or others) stereotype boys as disruptive, messy, inattentive?” “Do I (or others) stereotype certain boys as weak, too sensitive, too soft?”
- Dr. Jantz and/or Michael Gurian will be stopping by BuildingBoys for a Q & A. I’d love to pose your questions to the authors as well.
Everyone is welcome to join us — even your real-world friends who’ve never heard of BuildingBoys. The nitty-gritty details are as follows”
- Get the book.
- Start reading.
- Check in on Fridays. Fridays will be Book Club days here at BuildingBoys. Each Friday, I’ll write a post about the book, including my answers and thoughts to some of the “Next Steps” questions. Please add your thoughts, feedback and questions in the comments. (In the future, if there’s enough interest, we may add on a real-time Twitter chat.)
We’ll spend a month on each book. Raising Boys By Design has 12 chapters, so that works out to three chapters per week.The chapters are pretty short — Chapters 1-3 end at p. 54 — but don’t worry about keeping up. If you haven’t finished your chapters, join us on Friday anyway. The discussion is guaranteed to be interesting!
Ready? Get set! Read!
Any questions? Leave it in the comments below.