Are my boys doomed to failure because their father and I divorced?
Some, apparently, would say yes.
A 2012 New York Times article declared, “Study of Men’s Falling Income Cites Single Parents” and essentially blames men’s economic woes on the fact that just “63 percent of children lived in a household with two parents in 2010.”
The article offensively continues:
The single parents raising the rest of those children are predominantly female. And there is growing evidence that sons raised by single mothers “appear to fare particularly poorly”
- Lack of positive male role models
- An educational system that stresses sit-down-and-be-quiet over movement and exploration
- Lack of time and space for free play
- Social bias against traditionally “boy” endeavors, such as pretend weapons play
- Lack of family-supporting jobs
Latest posts by Jennifer L. W. Fink (see all)
- Help for Drug Addiction - May 16, 2019
- When Boys Refuse to Do “Stupid” Homework - May 2, 2019
- 3 Ways Professional Test Prep Helps Your Child Ace the SHSAT - April 29, 2019